DIXON OF ASTLE PARK

 

People in East Cheshire were familiar with the Dixon Arms at Chelford, until its demolition in 2003, and the annual Traction Engine Rally at Astle Park (Grid Ref. SJ 812738) each summer. The brief family tree below, taken from Burke's Landed Gentry, 1879, shows the connection of the Dixon family to the Park.

De Figueiredo and Treuhertz (1) mention Astle Hall, now demolished. The original house was remodelled in the late 18th century. They state that Jeremiah Dixon was mayor of Leeds in 1784 and married Mary, the daughter of John Smeaton the engineer and designer of the Eddystone Lighthouse. This is at variance with Burke and Earwaker but may benefit from more modern scholarship.

Earwaker (2) states that Astle Hall occupied the site of the old Milne House and was erected in the middle of the 18th century by John Parker, Esq. It was a large, roomy house, situated in a well-wooded park, the beauties of which are considerably enhanced by a large sheet of water which borders it on one side. Earwaker states that the wife of Jeremiah Dixon was Mary Wickham as does Burke's Landed Gentry of 1879.

Sources:

Cheshire Country Houses, by Peter de Figueiredo and Julian Treuhertz, Phillimore, Chichester, 1988.
 East Cheshire Past and Present by J.P. Earwaker, London, 1870.

Back to list of  families
Introduction to Cheshire Gentry

index button

Cheshire Antiquities
© Craig Thornber, Cheshire, England, UK.  Main Site Address: http://www.thornber.net/

W3C XHTML 1.0Strict W3C CSS