LITTLE BUDWORTH

Grid Ref. SJ 598 655
17 August 2001

Clock

 

Church spacer Nave
St. Peter's, Little Budworth   The nave looking towards the altar
Key   Nave
The key can be obtained from the post office   The nave looking towards the tower

 

The church of St. Peter's springs a surprise on visitors. From the road one forms the view that this is an ancient church. However, as soon as one steps inside, the extent of alteration is evident as shown in the two pictures of the nave. The rebuilding took place in 1800 with subsequent restorations. These must have swept away many features of historical interest.

The view towards the altar shows a number of brass plaques on the wall in what would formerly have been the north aisle chapel. One records all the members of the Egerton family buried in the vaults beneath. A further brass is dedicated to Sir Philip de Malpas Grey Egerton, son of the Rev. Sir Philip de Malpas Grey Egerton and also his wife, Anna Elizabeth the daughter of George John Legh of High Legh; they died in 1881 and 1882 respectively. Their son, Sir Philip Le Belward Grey Egerton, the 11th Baronet (1833-1891) is also commemorated. He fought in the Crimean War and after the Battle of Balaclava received the surrender of the Governor of that fort.

There is a framed description of the church on the wall of the nave near the tower. It states that the village is named in the Domesday book and that a church existed before 1190. The tower, built between 1490 and 1526, was formerly used as a beacon. In 1757 the church was described as having two side aisles supported by wooden pillars. The rebuilding of 1800 was financed by the bequest of Ralph Kirkham and restorations were carried out in 1870, 1919 and 1936. Of the earlier fittings the Geogian pulpit and a 17th century font survive. The bells date from 1714 but were recast in 1969.

In some ways this is one of the saddest churches in Cheshire. On the south side is a memorial window to twin brothers killed in action in the Great War. They were Philip de Malpas Egerton and Rowland Le Belward Egerton, the sons of the local landowning family of Oulton Park. The Egertons were formerly the patrons of St. Peter's but the patron now is the Bishop of Chester. The Egerton's house at Oulton Park was partly destroyed by fire in the 1926 and demolished by enemy bombs in 1940. The park became the Oulton Park motor racing track.

Window spacer Gates
Memorial window for Philip de Malpas Egerton and
Rowland Le Belward Egerton
  The Gates to Oulton Park

The following details of the brothers commemorated in the window were obtained from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission web site:

P de M W EGERTON, Captain, 19th (Queen Alexandra's Own Royal) Hussars who died on Tuesday 8 October 1918 . Age 23 . Son of Sir Philip Henry Brian Grey Egerton, 12th Bart., of Oulton Park, Cheshire, and Mary Carolyn Campbell Grey Egerton, his wife (now Mrs. Richard McCreery).

ROWLAND LE BELWARD. EGERTON, Second Lieutenant, Royal Welsh Fusiliers, who died on Monday 30 November 1914 .

 

Egerton Families of Cheshire

The Egerton family is very widespread across Cheshire and Lancashire with many branches. The following brief account of the eary history attempts to show how some of these groups are related. The Egertons trace their ancestry to John Le Belward of Depenbeche, alias Malpas, in the reign of William Rufus. The surname of Egerton was not assumed until the fifth generation, when Philip purchased Egerton in Cheshire.

We now continue with David de Egerton and his wife Isabella Fulleshurst. Their son David died without issue. The two daughters, Ellena and Isabella both married but eventually the Egerton estates went to issue of David Egerton's younger brother Urian. Oulton was acquired in generation 13 below through marriage to Isabella Done.

So, looking at generation 13, from the 2nd son John there descends the Oulton branch and from 3rd son Ralph the Egertons of Ridley

Source:

Pedigrees of the County Families of England, Vol. 1, Lancashire, compiled by Joseph Foster, Head Hole and Co. London, 1873.

The following details obtained from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission web site relate to a more recent member of this family, commemorated at Chester Cathedral.

WION DE MALPAS EGERTON DSO, Vice Admiral, Commodore 2nd Class, H.M.S. Eaglet., Royal Naval Reserve, who died on Friday 1 January 1943 . Age 63 .Additional Information: Son of Field-Marshal Sir Charles Egerton, G.C.B., D.S.O., A.D.C., and Lady Egerton (nee Hill); husband of Anita Adolphine Egerton, of Chilfrome, Dorsetshire. J.P.

Monument

Monument in Chester Cathedral

Back to list of  families
Introduction to Cheshire Gentry

index button

Cheshire Antiquities
© Craig Thornber, Cheshire, England, UK.  Main Site Address: http://www.thornber.net/

W3C XHTML 1.0Strict W3C CSS