|The half-timbered church of St. James and St. Paul||The Tower|
|Windows on the south side||Wall painting above the nave door|
|Effigy at south west corner of the bell tower||Effigy at north west corner of the bell tower|
|Half-timbered cottage in the village||The Davenport Family Arms on an estate house|
The church of St. James and St. Paul, was founded as a chantry chapel and endowed in 1343 by Sir John de Davenport and his son Vivian. In 1370, Sir John gave a further 60 acres of land and farm buildings to provide income for a priest. The effigies inside the belfry may be those of John and Vivian de Davenport. Both figures have their heads resting on the Davenport crest which has the felon's head indicating their status as Serjeants of Macclesfield Forest. (See also Bromley Davenport)
In 1547, the Chantries Act dissolved such chapels and the proceeds were taken by Edward VI. Later the land and chapel were recovered by the Davenport family. The nave is the oldest part of the current church. The belfry was built separately, about 1540, and has a shingle roof. Originally there were four bells but now there are three, the oldest inscribed "God Save the Queen and Realme 1598". A gallery at the west end of the nave and a dormer window on the south of the nave were removed in 1804. The current entrance at the west end under the bell tower was made at the time of restoration work in 1871. Extensive restoration took place in 1930-31 with renewal of many of the wall panels, some rafters and the shingles on the belfry.
My picture shows the remains of a wall painting above the entrance to the nave. This was discovered during the 1930 restoration work. Also on the west wall are paintings by Edward Penney showing Moses and Aaron holding the Ten Commandments. The parish registers commence in 1563. The pulpit dates from 1620.
For additional information on the Davenport family see the Capesthorne page.
Pamphlet available in the church for 20 pence in 2005.