|St. Edith's, Shocklach, 2005|
|In 2015 from the South East|
|From the West||From the North West|
|The decorated door arch, 2015||Stump of the cross, 2015|
St. Edith's at Shocklach lies off the main road and is only about half a mile from the River Dee. It is dedicated to St. Edith of Polesworth, believed to be a sister of Edward the Elder. The church was built by the lord of the manor about 1150. The site of the castle lies a few hundred yards to the North East but little is now visible. This is a wonderfully tranquil spot, down a cul de sac about a mile from the village of Shocklach.
The Nave is almost entirely 12th century but the chancel is 14th century. Against the west wall are two large buttresses. The south door archway dates from about 1150 and is a good example Norman work. Compare it with the one on the Norman Chapel at Prestbury. At one time the manor was owned by the Brereton family (see notes on the Breretons of Shocklach) and then passed by marriage to the Egertons of Ridley, who sold it in the time of Charles 1. On the tower one can see the arms of the Breretons and Egertons.
Like most churches in Cheshire, the church cross is broken about 3 feet above the plinth. Most were damaged during the Civil War and Commonwealth period. The church registers date from 1538 and the churchwardens' accounts from 1725. About 100 yards from the church is a small brick barn used by the vicar and church wardens to stable their horses. On the wall of the barn there is a description of the church.
The pictures taken in 2005 were in late afternoon in early July with the sun reaching the West facade; those in 2015 were taken in the late morning with the sun much farther to the East.
Old Cheshire Churches, with a supplementary survey of the lesser old chapels of Cheshire, completely revised and enlarged, by Raymond Richards, published by E. J. Morten, Didsbury, 1973, first published in 1947.