|The Chinese Garden||House and Lake|
|The Indian Garden||House and Lake|
Biddulph Grange was the home of John Bateman, who began the gardens in 1845. The house dates largely from 1896 and was built for John Bateman's son by Thomas Bower. The previous house was destroyed by fire but a few elements remain including the porch large enough to admit carriages and the outer hall. Biddulph Grange Gardens are owned by the National Trust. There is a website for the gardens.
Arthur Mee, writing in the 1930s, mentions Biddulph Grange as a scientific fairyland, a hospital for disabled children run by Lancashire County Council occupying grounds reclaimed from swampy moorland by the horticulturalist James Bateman. He laid out the Chinese gardens, Egyptian garden and the Wellingtonia avenue.
The King's England, Staffordshire, by Arthur Mee, Hodder and Stoughton, London, first published in 1937.